Mark Reed, MD
- Foot Surgery
- Ankle Surgery
- Sports Injuries
Mark Reed, MD
Dr. Mark Reed is a Board Certified orthopedic surgeon providing specialty care of all foot and ankle disorders. He treats both adolescents and adults with a special focus on sports-related injuries, including ankle instability, cartilage lesions, and Achilles tendon injuries. He also performs joint replacements and reconstructive surgery for degenerative conditions such as arthritis and tendon dysfunction. In addition, he provides state-of-the-art treatment in the areas of fracture care and sports medicine.
Dr. Reed worked for seven years as a mechanical engineer for a contractor to the Department of Defense before changing careers and enrolling in medical school. As an engineer he designed missile guidance systems and was part of the team that developed the jet engine for the F-22 Advanced Tactical Fighter.
He earned his medical degree at the University of Alabama School of Medicine. His background in engineering fostered an interest in orthopedics, driving him to an orthopedic surgical residency at the University of Massachusetts. As a chief resident, he was selected as the recipient of the esteemed John J. Monahan award, given to the physician who best embodies patient-centered care.
After his general orthopedics training, Dr. Reed was accepted at the Union Memorial Hospital Foot and Ankle Fellowship in Baltimore, Maryland, considered to be one of the most prestigious foot and ankle fellowship programs in the country. He trained under three of the leaders in the foot and ankle community, including the recent president of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, and participated in cutting-edge biomechanical and clinical research during his time in Baltimore. He has undergone advanced training in ankle joint replacement, including the Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement (STAR) prosthesis, as well as in reconstructive procedures, including bunion, hammertoe, and flatfoot deformity correction.
Dr. Reed is excited to join the Seattle medical community and to experience all the Pacific Northwest has to offer. Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his wife and his two sons. He also enjoys golf, tennis, working out, and spending time outdoors.
To learn more about Dr.Mark Reed visit seattlefootandanklesurgery.com
Dr. Reed provides both operative and non-operative treatment of the following orthopedic conditions:
- Deformities of the forefoot, including bunions, hammertoes, and claw toes
- Adolescent and adult flat foot deformity (collapse of the arch)
- Cavus foot deformity (high arch)
- Arthritis of the foot and ankle
- Tendon disorders of the foot and ankle, including ruptures, partial tears, and tendinitis
- Trauma (fractures and dislocations) of the foot and ankle
- Ankle instability
- Osteochondral lesions (cartilage defects) of the foot and ankle
- Sports injuries of the foot and ankle (sprains, turf toe, tendon ruptures, fractures)
- Deformities of the foot and ankle due to diabetes and neuromuscular conditions
- Nerve disorders of the foot and ankle, including neuromas and tarsal tunnel syndrome
- Exertional compartment syndrome of the lower extremity
- Fractures of the upper and lower extremities in adults and children
He offers the following orthopedic services:
- Ankle replacement
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Deformity correction and reconstruction of the foot and ankle
- Fusion of arthritic joints of the foot and ankle